In Grey and Bruce Counties, rural property is a real choice for people who want to either farm or live a little away from town and own some acreage. There are unique challenges to look for when considering purchasing a rural property. The following are tips on what to look for when buying a farm or rural property.
- Affordability: Be pre-approved for a mortgage before you start looking at property. Knowing how much you can afford can help narrow down your choices.
- Requirements: Make a specific list of requirements for your REALTOR(r). Figure out how many acres you are looking for and what you will use the acreage for (i.e. workable farmland, horse paddocks, cattle etc.).
- Land Usage:
- Land for Livestock: Fencing is very important on a property if you plan to keep livestock. Look for good fencing that will contain your animals. The type and condition of the barn is also very important if you plan to keep livestock.
- Land for Cash Crop: Determine the soil type on the farmland to make sure you get the right kind of soil for what you plan to grow. Get the soil tested by an expert before you buy.
- Drainage: The drainage of the land is vitally important in Grey/Bruce Counties. Localized flooding in spring and fall is a real possibility so you need your land to naturally drain as much as possible. Tile drainage is utilized in some cases, so find out what the land already has.
- History of the Land: It is important to understand what the land was used for before you purchase. Find out what type of herbicides have been used previously as well as the type of crops and rotation of crops on the land.
- The House: As important as the land is, the home you will be living in is also important. It must fit your needs of course, and also be in good condition. Make sure to get a home inspection. Access the heating system and monthly costs (winters can be long around here) to make sure all the costs to run and maintain the home fits within your budget.
Purchasing a farm or rural property has unique challenges that a home in Southampton or Port Elgin does not have. Have a REALTOR(r) experienced with farms and rural properties help guide you and find the perfect rural retreat for you and your family.
The Saugeen Team is here to help! If you have any questions, comments or are ready to start looking for your rural retreat, contact us today!